This is the basic content for the bushcraft courses. However, groups may request a focus on specific subjects which can be accommodated.
The 2 day course covers the same skills as the 1 day course but in greater depth. At the end of the first day, after a relaxing evening around the campfire you will sleep under your own shelter.
The course incorporates the following topics:
- Knife skills - Introduction to the bush craft knife and saw, its uses including basic carving and cutting skills to make useful camp gadgets and to prepare wood for fire. Introduces other tools and includes spoon carving.
- Shelter building - constructing a bivvy shelter using a number of different designs, including useful knots and also constructing a shelter from natural materials.
- Traditional fire making techniques - Gathering and preparing materials, learning to use a fire-steel / flint and steel with a variety of tinders. Wet weather techniques and an introduction to fire lighting by friction. Making your own char cloth.
- Sourcing materials - Collecting tinder and identifying appropriate materials for various uses.
- Cooking on an open fire - Food preparation and cooking with minimal equipment.
- Water – Sourcing, filtering and purifying
Dinner on the first night and breakfast and lunch on the second day is included. Everyone shares the preparation and cooking. Hot and cold drinks always available.
Duration: 9am to 4pm next day
Who it's for
Minimum age: 14 Under 18’s need to be accompanied by an adult.
Under 18’s £100.
Layer de la Haye. Colchester
There are no scheduled introduction to bushcraft: 2 day course events.
Get in touch if you're interested.